Sunday, July 14, 2013

Experience as L.O of Argentina Delegation

Without knowing what Liaison Officer (L.O) in World Heritage Conference is, I applied for the position after getting the volunteer opportunity provided by UYFC. All I knew was I wanted to be in the Peace Palace, the place that the event would be held. After being interviewed, I got selected and trained, and waited for the day the program started. I was assigned to be the L.O of the Argentina delegation.

By just seeing what I’ve mentioned, it seems to be an easy task, but if you were in my situation, you would know how bored, tired, and useless I felt at the beginning of the event. I needed to wait for 3 days in order to meet my delegate who finally came on the 17th of June. However, I was delighted to learn that she is a kind and beautiful lady who is really worth to work for. Her name is Nolia whose age about 25, I guess. She is an independent lady, so I didn’t have so many works to do, but just accompanied her to Central Market, guided her to the meeting room, helped her with the registration for the closing ceremony in Siem Reap, and the like. A week later, the head of the delegation came with the other head from Venezuela, and the old delegate went back home. The head of Argentina named Elisabeth and Rebecca was the head of Venezuela. I was a bit busier when they came because they weren’t really familiar with the place and needed to make the arrangement to Siem Reap for the closing ceremony. Seriously, I like them all because they are really well-behaved, kind, and indiscriminate people, which made my work easy and fun. On the day they said goodbye to me, I almost shed my tear. Working for almost 2 weeks as their Liaison Officer, I felt like strong relationship came between us, which was absolutely difficult to separate. But no choice, we all needed to go back to our own way of life.

In short, I’ve learnt many things from being the L.O. I got to know different kinds of people both foreigners and my coworkers.  I had a chance to practice my English, and learnt that my English cannot be used officially yet. More importantly, it makes me feel I am a useful person in the society who can help people coming to my country.






No comments:

Post a Comment